Thursday, June 27, 2013

Harlem Shake, Third Grade Style

What's up peeps! That's third grade talk for hi.

In our classroom, we like to dance. Our favorite brain breaks always involve music. Well, one day, as we were getting our jams on, a kiddo asked me if we could make a Harlem Shake video. Being the awesome teacher that I am, I immediately said, "No. That would be inappropriate." Okay. I didn't even know what I was talking about but it did not sound good. That weekend, I asked my children (ages 23, 22, and 18) if they knew the Harlem Shake. They took me to the land of youtube and we watched many videos. (btw, my favorite was the Supernatural Harlem Shake.) Needless to say, I went back to school and planned it out with the kiddos, after apologizing for saying no so quickly. Many of my teachery friends laughed at me (in their defense, I am kinda juvenile). Some were worried that it would be "inappropritae". But it turned out awesome. The kiddos loved it and so did their parents:)

Here is the final version. In our first take, the class was reading. But they didn't like it. They voted and we changed it to our cleanup time. I got this idea from blogland but can't find the source. I play music during cleanup at the end of our day. The kiddos clean and dance. It makes cleanup fun and the classroom is really clean. Less work for our custodians who have a very tough job and the kids know they have to take care of their own messes.

1 comment:

  1. This is GREAT!!! I need to do this with my new class coming up. They would love this!
    Alison
    Rockin' and Lovin' Learnin'

    ReplyDelete